These roasted Italian vegetables are easy to make and are a perfect side for spaghetti, a roast, or really any dish.
A lemon caper sauce is spooned over the Italian roasted vegetables.
The flavor is amazing and there’s only a few steps to complete the recipe!
Italian Vegetables With Lemon Caper Sauce Ingredients:
You will need 1 red onion, 2 red peppers, 2 medium zucchini, 2-3 lemons, zest of 1 lemon, 2 Tablespoons of capers, 6 cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano.
All of these ingredients are easy to find at the supermarket, but any vegetable can be substituted.
The sauce is what really makes the dish. Roasted veggies are really good already, but the lemon caper sauce just makes them so much better.
Roasted Italian Vegetable Questions:
Can Other Vegetables Be Substituted?
Absolutely! The dish would work well with roasted broccoli, broccoli rabe, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts to name but a few. The lemon caper sauce is great on so many veggies!
What Size Pan To Use?
I recommend not overcrowding the veggies so if doubling or tripling the recipe, go for 2 pans. When the veggies are crowded they tend to steam and not roast, preventing them from getting nice caramelization.
Is The Lemon Caper Sauce Necessary?
No, but I think it adds so much to the dish. Caper and lemons are potent ingredients that really give many dishes that extra special flavor.
This is a 2 out of 5, with 1 being super easy and 5 being very difficult. The only potential issues I see are using a big enough pan to not overcrowd the roasted veggies and possibly zesting a lemon. A lemon zester makes that task easy.
Process For The Italian Vegetable Side Dish:
Turn oven to 400f and place rack in middle.
Cut up six cloves of garlic. No need to cut it up very fine.
Next cut up the peppers, zucchini and red onion. Cut ½″ zucchini slices on a diagonal, and ½″ onion and peppers strips.
Don’t worry. Nothing has to be exact with this recipe!
Mix the veggies, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of olive oil in a bowl.
Coat the veggies well with the garlic, oil, and seasonings.
Spread the veggies out onto the sheet pan. Try not to overcrowd them – Use another pan if necessary.
Place the Italian veggies in the oven for twenty minutes and start preparing the lemon caper sauce.
To prepare the sauce, juice 2 lemons or enough for a ¼ cup of lemon juice. Also zest 1 lemon and set aside.
Mix the lemon juice with 2 Tablespoons of capers and ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil.
Add ¼ tsp of kosher salt to the lemon caper sauce and mix it all together.
Set the sauce on the side and turn the oven off and broiler on.
Broil the veggies for 3-5 minutes being careful to watch them for burning.
Remove the Italian roasted vegetables and plate the veggies.
Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the lemon sauce over the veggies and spread the lemon zest on top as well.
Serve with the extra lemon caper sauce on the side for anyone who desires more.
The lemon caper sauce is excellent over rice or grilled chicken as well.
Entrees To Pair With Italian Vegetables:
- Beef Braciole With Raisins
- Lemon Spaghetti
- Cooking Ribeye Steak 101
- Easy Baked Chicken Legs
- Sweet Italian Sausage Pasta
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
Give it a star rating.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 large red onion
- 2 Tbsp drained capers
- 2-3 medium lemons
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Turn oven on to 400f and place rack in middle.
- Chop garlic cloves. Slice zucchini on diagonal into ½" slices. Slice peppers and onions into ½" strips.
- In a large bowl coat the peppers, onions, and zucchini with ¼ cup of olive oil, ½ tsp oregano, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and the chopped garlic. Mix well.
- Spread the veggies onto a large sheet pan and roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- While veggies are roasting zest 1 lemon and set aside. Squeeze lemons and collect ¼ cup of juice. Combine the lemon juice with ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 Tbsp of capers, and ¼ tsp of salt. Mix well.
- After twenty minutes turn off oven and turn on broiler. Broil the veggies for 3-5 minutes to crisp them up. Pay attention to not burn them.
- After the veggies are crisp remove and plate. Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of the lemon caper sauce over the veggies and sprinkle on the lemon zest.
- Serve veggies with the remaining sauce on the side. Enjoy!
If you like this Italian vegetables with lemon caper sauce recipe we would really appreciate it if you would share it on Instagram or Facebook using #sipandfeast.
Let us know how you did and show others as well. Thanks!