Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Shrimp fra diavolo is a simple and spicy Italian seafood recipe. Served over linguine pasta, it makes one delicious meal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 1/2 pound linguine
- 1 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup pasta water
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Boil pasta to 1 minute less than package instructions in salted water. Chop or slice garlic.
Place shrimp in a bowl and add 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Mix well.
Before draining pasta, reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Crush tomatoes by hand or pulse in blender for 1-2 seconds.
Heat large pan to medium heat and saute shrimp until pink. About 2 minutes per side. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
In same pan saute the garlic for 1-2 minutes until golden. Add the white wine and brandy and turn heat to high. Bring to boil for 30 seconds. Lower heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and oregano. Stir to combine and let the sauce simmer.
After 5-10 minutes of simmering remove half the sauce and set aside. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to sauce pan and add the pasta. Turn heat to high and thoroughly coat the pasta for 1 minute.
Finally add the shrimp back to pan with the parsley and reduce heat to low. Stir it all together for 1 more minute then remove from heat. Taste and adjust spice and salt levels. Enjoy!
- The extra sauce can be used for bread dipping or added to the pasta if a little dry. Over sauced pasta is a personal preference.
- The spice level should be adjusted up or down according to taste. Fra diavolo should be a spicy sauce but adjust according to taste.
- Salt is kept down in this recipe. Adjust to taste.
- Serve with grated cheese if you like and crusty Italian bread.
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 16g | Sodium: 500mg