Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Shrimp fra Diavolo is a simple and spicy Italian seafood recipe. Served over linguine pasta, it makes one delicious meal.
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 1/2 pound linguine
- 1 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes crushed by hand or blender pulsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup pasta water reserved
- 8 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Boil pasta to 1 minute less than package instructions in salted water. Before draining pasta, reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Chop or slice the garlic.
Place shrimp in a bowl and add 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Mix well.
Heat large pan to medium heat and saute shrimp until pink. About 2 minutes per side. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
In the same pan saute the garlic for 1-2 minutes until golden. Add the white wine and brandy and turn heat to high. Bring to boil for 1 minute. Lower heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and oregano. Stir to combine and let the sauce simmer.
After 5-10 minutes of simmering remove half the sauce and set aside. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to saucepan and add the pasta. Turn heat to medium and thoroughly coat the pasta for 1 minute.
Finally, add the shrimp back to the pan with the parsley and reduce heat to low. Stir it all together for 1 more minute then remove from heat. Taste and adjust spice and salt levels. Enjoy!
- The extra sauce can be used for bread dipping or added to the pasta if a little dry.
- The spice level should be adjusted up or down according to taste. Fra diavolo should be a spicy sauce but adjust according to taste.
- Salt is kept down in this recipe. Adjust to taste.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread.
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 44.1g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 16.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.6g | Cholesterol: 280mg | Sodium: 870mg | Potassium: 742mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 3mg