Sage and Onion Stuffing
Classic sage and onion stuffing recipe made with country white bread, celery, onions, and parmesan cheese.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 loaf country white bread
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons chopped sage
If using stale 1-2 day old bread, skip toasting. Otherwise, cube bread and toast on a baking sheet for 45 minutes at 250f.
In a large pan heat 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat and saute all the chopped celery and onions until soft.
In a large bowl beat the 2 eggs and combine all the chicken stock, salt, pepper, and sage.
Once celery and onions are soft (about 10 minutes) add the cubed dry bread and gently mix to coat. Add in the grated parmesan and the egg/chicken stock mixture, then gently mix once more.
Fill a baking dish (4-5 quart size) with the sage and onion stuffing. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter on top of stuffing.
Lightly cover with foil and bake the stuffing on the middle oven rack for 20 minutes at 375f. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more until the top of stuffing becomes slightly brown and crispy. Enjoy!
- Makes 8 moderate or 6 large portions of stuffing.
- One 24 ounce sized loaf of country white was used.
- Dry bread is essential. Either use very dry 1-2 day old left out bread or toast the cubed bread according to recipe instructions.
- Gently mix the stuffing to keep some texture. Overmixing can result in mush.
- Use enough stock to coat all the stuffing. If necessary use a touch more stock (about a 1/2 cup).
- Bake for 20 minutes covered to retain moisture, then finish baking uncovered for the last 10-15 minutes to get a nice and crispy top.
- Cranberries, chestnuts, walnuts, and pecans are all great additions.
- Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days, but the stuffing is best served the same day.
Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.5g | Protein: 11.4g | Fat: 17.2g | Saturated Fat: 9.5g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 935mg | Potassium: 60mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 5.9g | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 1mg