Chicken Caesar Salad
Warm pan seared chicken sits atop a mixture of crisp romaine hearts, homemade garlic croutons, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, and a garlicky lemon Caesar dressing that puts any bottled dressing to shame.
For the croutons
- 3 cups bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano finely grated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the dressing
- 6 anchovies mashed into paste
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 1 ½ pounds chicken cutlets thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 heads romaine outer leaves removed and torn into 3-inch long pieces
- 3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano thinly shredded (the hole side of a box grater)
- 1 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano shaved - for finishing
For the chicken
Heat a large stainless steel pan to medium heat. Pat the chicken dry and season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and sear the chicken until cooked through (about 3-4 minutes per side). Place the cooked chicken onto a plate, tent with foil, and set aside. After 5 minutes of resting, slice into pieces.
To assemble the salad
Place the torn romaine leaves into a large bowl and spoon over 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing to start along with most of the croutons and all of the grated cheese. Toss well to coat. If extra dressing is needed, add more to your liking, and toss again.
Place the tossed salad into a large platter and lay the chicken strips on top. Sprinkle the remaining croutons over the salad and shave a bit of extra Parmigiano Reggiano ( a vegetable peeler works great!) all over the top. Spoon more of the dressing onto the chicken if desired or serve at the table. Enjoy!
- If the dressing is too thick add a couple of teaspoons of water to thin. If too thin, add a bit more olive oil and blend once more.
- Calorie info reflects using all the dressing. You will most likely not need all of it.
- Makes 4 large dinner-sized portions or ~6 side salad portions.
- If you like whole or pieces of anchovies, only use half for the dressing, cut up the rest into pieces, and serve on top of the salad.
Calories: 710kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.3g | Protein: 59.5g | Saturated Fat: 8.9g | Cholesterol: 250mg | Sodium: 1511mg | Potassium: 729mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 3.6g | Calcium: 203mg | Iron: 10mg