Stromboli is a wonderful Italian-American appetizer made with pizza dough and marinara sauce rolled up with ham, pepperoni, and provolone cheese and baked until golden. Stromboli is served with marinara sauce on the side for dipping!
Servings: 12 pieces
For one 24-ounce pizza dough ball
- 406 grams bread flour or 3 1/4 cups
- 2 grams instant yeast or half teaspoon
- 8 grams fine sea salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 4 grams sugar or 1 teaspoon
- 260 grams cold water 9 ounces
- 14 grams olive oil or 1 tablespoon
For the marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Sicilian oregano
- 1 salt and pepper
For the stromboli
- 1 24-ounce pizza dough ball from above or use store bought dough
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce from recipe above
- 1/3 pound ham thin-sliced
- 1/3 pound pepperoni thin-sliced
- 1/3 pound provolone sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Sicilian oregano
- 1 large egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons Pecorino Romano grated, divided
- 1 tablespoon Sesame or poppy seeds
For the pizza dough
Place water in a bowl large enough to hold both the water and all the dry ingredients and still have room to spare. Mix together dry ingredients in another bowl.
Add dry ingredients to water a bit at a time and mix thoroughly to form a dry rough mass.
Pour the oil over the dough, mix again to scrape off any dough residue stuck to side of the bowl, and place the rough shaggy dough onto a work surface.
Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, place a clean bowl inverted over the dough and wait 30 minutes before resuming. Return to kneading (just make sure to knead for at least a total of 5 minutes).
Place the bowl over the dough once more and let sit for 30-40 minutes to warm up before forming the dough ball.
After 40 minutes pull the dough towards its end repeatedly to form a smooth ball. Pinch the seam side and place the dough ball seam side down into an oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 12 but ideally 24 hours before using.
For the marinara sauce
In a saucepot, saute the garlic in olive oil over medium-low heat until golden (about 2-3 minutes).
Add the hot red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the plum tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer. Simmer for 5-7 minutes then season with oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
Set the sauce aside to cool. To work faster take 3/4 cup of the sauce, place into a bowl and freeze for 10-15 minutes to cool it down more quickly. The sauce shouldn't be hot when moving on to assembling the stromboli below.
For the stromboli
Remove dough ball from fridge 2 hours prior to using.
Preheat oven to 425f and set the rack to the middle level. Roll out dough to a rectangle shape of roughly 16 by 12-inches. Place parchment paper under the dough for easy rolling.
Begin by placing a thin layer of sauce (about 3/4 cup only) onto the dough, leaving 3” open on all sides. Layer the ham, then pepperoni, and finally the provolone cheese onto the dough. Leave about 2-inches of space on all sides. Sprinkle half the grated Pecorino and the oregano on top.
Fold the stromboli over one time then tuck in the sides. With a wet pastry brush, brush the seam and roll with the parchment paper to form a log shape. Place the seam side down and center the stromboli on an oiled baking pan or on top of a parchment paper-lined pan.
Beat the egg and add a tablespoon of water to thin. Brush the eggwash onto the top of the stromboli. Cut slits approximately 1” apart into the top of the stromboli with a sharp knife.
Sprinkle the sesame seeds and the remaining grated Pecorino on top. Bake the stromboli for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Let the cooked stromboli sit for at least 10 minutes to solidify and make cutting easier. Serve with marinara dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Any pizza dough can be used. For this recipe, we used 24 ounces of our standard pizza dough.
- Use your own premade marinara or store-bought to skip the sauce preparation step.
- Mozzarella can be subbed for the provolone. Salami, soppressata, capicola and other meats can be added.
- Leftovers can be saved for up to 3 days and should be reheated in the oven at 350f until hot.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.6g | Protein: 12.9g | Fat: 28.4g | Saturated Fat: 9.2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 842mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 0.7g | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 2mg