Rigatoni Alla Vodka
Delicious comforting pasta dish in an easy cream sauce.
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 3/4 cup pecorino
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz. vodka
- 4 oz. dry white wine
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
Cook pasta according to directions in salted (2 Tbsp kosher salt per gallon) water and reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining. Chop 3 cloves garlic and 1 small onion.
Saute onion in 3 Tbsp olive oil in large pan over medium heat until translucent (about 3-5 minutes). Add garlic and continue to saute for 1 minute more.
Add tomato paste to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and stir.
Add the wine and vodka to pan and cook on high heat until boiling. Let boil for 1-2 minutes then reduce heat to medium-low. Add the cream and mix thoroughly. Let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened slightly.
Remove 1 cup of the sauce and set aside. Add the pasta to the sauce pan and stir. Add the 3/4 cup pecorino and thoroughly mix together. If the pasta is a dry add a little bit more of the sauce and finally if needed a couple ounces of the pasta water.
Taste test and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Enjoy.
- Makes 4 large servings or 6 regular ones.
- If the pasta dries out while waiting for guests to sit down, thin with a couple more ounces of the reserved pasta water at table.
- Serve with extra pecorino cheese and crushed red pepper on the side.
- The pecorino is quite salty, so no additional salt was added to the recipe. Adjust according to personal taste.
Calories: 778kcal | Carbohydrates: 73.4g | Protein: 21.8g | Fat: 36g | Cholesterol: 159mg | Sodium: 511mg