Instant Pot Pulled Pork - Italian Style
Mouthwatering Italian style Instant Pot pulled pork with orange juice, fennel seeds and chili flakes.
- 1 3-4 pound pork loin
- 2 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
Begin by cutting the pork loin into 3-4 small pieces.
Sprinkle the pork pieces with 2 Tbsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp kosher salt and a 1/2 tsp of chili flakes. Rub the spices into the pork on all sides.
Place the pork in the Instant Pot and add 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock and the juice of 2 oranges. Lock the Lid and set to sealing mode.
Set to manual high pressure and cook for 20 minutes per pound or 60 minutes for a 3 pound pork loin. When finished, let natural release for 10 minutes, then perform a manual pressure release for the remaining pressure.
Reserve all the cooking liquid. Place the pork into a large bowl and shred with 2 forks. Add 1 cup of the cooking liquid and toss to coat. Save the remaining liquid to use if the pork gets dry. Enjoy the pork on sandwiches with provolone, Tuscan peppers or any topping you want.
- Makes approximately 6 large sandwiches.
- Calories are for the pork only and will vary based on bread, rolls or toppings used.
- Serve topped with provolone, Tuscan peppers and broccoli rabe or Italian Salsa Verde or Eggplant Caponata.
- The recipe calls for 3-4 pounds of pork loin. Equal amounts of pork tenderloin or pork shoulder can also be used and cooked for the same amount of time (20 minutes per pound).
- Chop the pork loin into smaller pieces. This speeds up cooking time and makes it easier to shred when finished.
- Save the cooking liquid to add to the shredded pork. The pork will absorb it and get juicier, plus the orange juice and fennel broth will further enhance the flavor.
- Leftovers can be saved for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Calories: 511kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.6g | Protein: 55.3g | Fat: 27.9g | Saturated Fat: 10.4g | Cholesterol: 159mg | Sodium: 719mg | Potassium: 951mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 4.4g | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2.2mg