Dry Brined Turkey Breast
Tender and moist dry brined turkey breast is made with just a few ingredients making this one of the simplest ways to prepare this holiday staple.
- 1 6-8 pound turkey breast bone-in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock divided, will most likely not need all of it
dry brine (mix together)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
Pat dry the turkey breast with paper towels and season all over with the dry brine mixture. Try to get the salt under the skin and onto the breast. Season on all sides but use the majority of the mixture on the breasts since they are the thickest and will take the most time for the brine to penetrate. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 24 hours but preferably 48 hours.
Remove turkey 1 hour before roasting. Preheat oven to 450f and set the oven rack to the middle level. Place the turkey breast on a roasting pan and wire rack setup and pat dry very well. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto the skin and pour a half cup of chicken stock into bottom of the pan.
Roast turkey for 30 minutes, then turn the heat down to 300f. Continue cooking until the turkey registers 155-160f in the thickest part of the breast (should take approximately 50-70 minutes longer). When finished cooking place turkey breast on a cutting board and tent with foil for 20 minutes before carving.
To carve, remove breast by sliding knife down breast bone and by cutting under the breast. Cut pieces to ¼" thick across the length of the breast. Enjoy!
- The sodium amount is for a fresh turkey breast with no added sodium solution. If using a turkey breast in solution only use 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. This is provided that the sodium level is less than 200mg per 4 ounce serving. Anything higher than that, no salt should be used.
- Use kosher salt to allow for a more even salt distribution.
- Pat dry the turkey breast with paper towels before applying the brine and before roasting.
- Dry brine for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Leave the turkey breast uncovered in the fridge.
- Use an instant-read thermometer for accurate temperature readings.
- Make sure to let the turkey breast rest for 20 minutes prior to carving.
- Leftovers can be saved for up to 3 days and can be reheated in the microwave.
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.7g | Protein: 56g | Fat: 19.8g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 525mg | Potassium: 1mg | Sugar: 0.7g | Calcium: 1mg