Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwich
The classic New York deli breakfast that combines fried eggs, crispy bacon, and melted American cheese on a poppy seed roll.
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon see notes below
- 4 large deli-style hard rolls see notes below
- 4 teaspoons butter divided
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices yellow American cheese
- 4 teaspoons water for melting cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ketchup optional, to taste
Preheat the oven to 400f and arrange racks in the center. Cover 2 baking sheets with foil then place wire racks on top. Evenly spread thick-cut bacon out onto wire racks and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and done to your liking.
Once the bacon is finished set aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Slice the 4 rolls in half and arrange each cut roll on a large piece of parchment paper for easy wrapping.
Heat a large nonstick pan or flat griddle to medium heat, then add a teaspoon of butter. Crack 2 eggs and cook for 2 minutes on one side then flip. If you want the egg yolks cracked, break it with the edge of a spatula or leave it alone for an over-easy egg sandwich.
Place two slices of cheese on only one of the eggs.
Sprinkle a teaspoon of water into the pan, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Remove lid after 30 seconds and place the egg without cheese onto the roll's bottom. Place the egg with cheese on top. Top with bacon, salt, pepper, and ketchup then wrap in parchment paper. Wipe pan of any remaining water then repeat the same cooking process for the next three sandwiches.
After all 4 sandwiches are cooked, cut in half through the paper and wrap in foil to keep warm or serve right away. Enjoy!
- Thick-cut bacon will take approximately 20-25 minutes to cook at 400f. Thin cut will only take about 12-15 minutes. Watch the bacon carefully during the cooking process.
- New York-style deli rolls are sometimes seeded but don't have to be. They are soft and large and can be purchased in most supermarkets and any deli in the New York metro area. If you can't find these rolls, use your favorite roll, bagel, or bread.
- Sandwiches should be eaten within 30 minutes of cooking and wrapping but can be reheated inside the wrapping in a 300f oven until hot.
Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.2g | Protein: 44.9g | Fat: 31.7g | Saturated Fat: 13.4g | Cholesterol: 443mg | Sodium: 1600mg | Potassium: 210mg | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 226mg | Iron: 3mg