Chicken agrodolce with roasted eggplant and zucchini, cherry tomatoes, green olives, raisins and chicken thighs simmered together in a sugar-vinegar sauce and topped with fresh mint.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup olive oil divided
- 2 medium zucchini cubed
- 1 medium eggplant cubed
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 24 ounces cherry tomatoes or 2 dry pints
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Sicilian green olives pitted and sliced
- 3 tablspoons mint chopped
Preheat oven to 425f and set the rack to the middle level. Toss zucchini and eggplant with a 1/4 cup of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread the veggies out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and well browned.
Meanwhile, pat the chicken dry then season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Heat a large pan to medium heat then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sear chicken until browned (about 4-5 minutes per side) then set aside on a plate tented with foil.
Add the remaining olive oil to the pan along with the garlic. Cook garlic until golden (about 2 minutes) then add the tomatoes and a touch of salt.
Once the tomatoes begin to burst (about 5 minutes) add the chicken stock, raisins, olives, vinegar, and sugar to the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook for 2 minutes until it slightly reduces.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and return the chicken to the pan, along with the roasted zucchini and eggplant. Continue to cook over a low simmer partially covered (roughly 10-15 more minutes) or until the chicken thighs reach at least 175f internal temp.
Taste test and season with salt and pepper if required. Sprinkle the mint on top right before serving. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce. Enjoy!
- Makes 4 large or 6 moderate-sized servings
- Chicken thighs (dark meat) can be cooked to a higher temp than white meat. At least 175f is recommended. The chicken will be juicier and more tender.
- Feel free to adjust the sweet/sour ratio to your liking with either more sugar or vinegar.
- Leftovers can be saved for up to 3 days and can be reheated in the microwave.
Calories: 827kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.8g | Protein: 101.3g | Fat: 37.6g | Saturated Fat: 6.8g | Cholesterol: 262mg | Sodium: 390mg | Potassium: 1088mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11.8g | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 4mg