Baked Asparagus with Cheese and Breadcrumbs
Baked asparagus with cheese and breadcrumbs is a wonderful side to any main course. This simple dish combines fresh asparagus and seasoned breadcrumbs topped with garlic oil and baked until perfect. Fresh lemon zest is added at the end for outrageous flavor!
- 2 pounds asparagus ends cut off
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest for finishing
For the seasoned breadcrumbs (mix together)
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano grated
- 1 teaspoon dried Sicilian oregano or Italian oregano
- 1/4 cup parsley minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc, etc
Preheat the oven to 400f and set the rack to the middle level. Mix the seasoned breadcrumbs ingredients together and set aside.
Combine the grated garlic and olive oil together in a bowl. Spoon half of the garlic oil into a sheet pan and spread it around to evenly distribute.
Place the asparagus into the pan and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
Next, sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumbs on top of the asparagus, then drizzle the remaining garlic oil on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are brown and the asparagus is tender.
For more color, the asparagus can be broiled for the last 1-2 minutes but watch very carefully to avoid burning. Sprinkle the lemon zest onto the asparagus right before serving and drizzle a touch more extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!
- If desired, broil right at the end for extra browning but watch carefully because the breadcrumbs can burn quickly.
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil all over the finished dish is great. You can also opt for drizzling onto individual plates.
- Leftovers can be saved for up to 3 days and can be reheated in the oven at 325f until warm or in the microwave.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.9g | Protein: 6.7g | Fat: 18.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 3.6g | Sugar: 3.5g | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 4mg