Italian Zucchini Fritters
Easy and delicious zucchini fritters with parsley and Pecorino Romano cheese batter.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley
- 2 cups canola oil
Grate 3 medium zucchini with a coarse setting (¼" size hole) of cheese grater. Chop a ¼ cup of fresh parsley.
Place shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle 1 Tbsp of kosher salt all over. After 15 minutes squeeze out as much water as possible from the shredded zucchini.
Beat 3 eggs in a large mixing bowl. To bowl, add the zucchini, ¼ cup parsley, ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, ½ tsp black pepper and 3 Tbsp flour. Mix thoroughly to form batter.
Prepare a heavy pan for frying with canola oil. The oil should be about ¾" high in the pan and hot enough to fry with (350-375).
When oil is ready to fry add 1 Tbsp of batter, being careful to not overcrowd the fritters in the pan. Work in batches, frying the fritters for 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet pan. When finished sprinkle a touch of kosher salt and/or Pecorino Romano cheese on top. Enjoy!
- Amount - Makes about 12-16 fritters.
- Zucchini - Make sure to squeeze out water after salting, for less water and more zucchini flavor in the fritters.
- Batter - To stiffen up the fritter batter just place it in the fridge for 15 minutes before frying.
- Frying - Make sure the fritters have ample space in the pan. Work in batches to not crowd.
- Frying Temp - 350-375 is the target temp to fry at. Use a frying thermometer to check temp or check for light bubbles with a sprinkle of flour.
- Salt - The fritters have 1 Tbsp of kosher salt in them already, but fried food just takes salt so well while it's hot. Add a nice sprinkle of salt or Pecorino Romano cheese on to the warm zucchini fritters for maximum flavor.
- Flour - Though flour is recommended, half the amount of cornstarch can be used as a substitute.
- Herbs - Mint or basil are both great substitutes.
- Keeping warm - If doing multiple batches, place finished fritters in a low temp oven (170f) to keep warm while attending to subsequent batches.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.1g | Protein: 6.9g | Fat: 26.3g | Saturated Fat: 3.3g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 1120mg | Potassium: 368mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 2.3g | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1mg