Pasta Shells With Pancetta And Peas
Easy recipe of sauteed pancetta, onions, garlic and peas with shell pasta to catch all of the delicious flavor bits.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 pound medium shell pasta
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 4 ounces Citterio pancetta
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cook pasta to 'al dente' (this means a firm bite, about 2 minutes less than package instructions) in salted water (2 tablespoons kosher salt per gallon of water). Reserve at least 3 cups of pasta water.
Dice onion and slice 5 garlic cloves. Mince a 1/4 cup of fresh parsley.
In a large, deep pan saute the pancetta in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat.
After the pancetta has rendered and released its fat (about 8 minutes) add in the onions and saute until translucent and soft (about 5-8 minutes). After the onions are soft add the garlic in and cook for 3 minutes more.
Add the frozen peas to the pan along with a cup of pasta water. Turn heat to medium and let the peas cook for 5 minutes.
Add in the 'al dente' pasta, stir and cook for a few more minutes. The pasta will absorb some of the pasta water. If necessary add a ladle or 2 more of pasta water.
Add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir it together and taste test. Adjust salt and pepper if required, and if the pasta is still too firm continue to cook for a few more minutes and add extra pasta water if needed.
After the pasta is fully cooked turn off the heat and add the fresh parsley. Serve with grated cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!
- Feel free to use double the amount of pancetta for a stronger more robust flavor.
- Use a large, deep pan to hold all of the pasta, peas, and pancetta.
- Make sure to reserve a few cups of the pasta water. If the pasta dries out before serving just add a ladle full to bring back the perfect consistency.
- Shells are recommended to catch the pancetta and peas, but any small pasta can be used.
- Serve with grated cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 88.6g | Protein: 29.2g | Fat: 15.2g | Saturated Fat: 4.4g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 1152mg | Potassium: 488mg | Fiber: 6.2g | Sugar: 5.3g | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 6mg