The limoncello margarita is a frozen concoction that's as easy as it is refreshing! Limoncello and tequila are blended with triple sec, lime juice, and ice until slushy and served with some salt, and sliced lemon and lime. Perfect, simple sipping for summer!
When we first came up with the idea for a limoncello and tequila cocktail, we thought it sounded great!
Upon further research, we found that a version of this drink is actually served in the Italian pavilion at Disney's Epcot.
While we haven't personally tried Epcot's limoncello margarita, we're willing to bet that this one is likely just as good (and probably less expensive)!
Because when you're blending tequila, limoncello, triple sec, and lime juice, you really can't go wrong.
Limoncello margarita ingredients
- The tequila. We used a blanco tequila, aka silver tequila which is tequila that hasn't been aged. We don't recommend using a reposado as will likely impart an oaked flavor.
- Limoncello. Limoncello is an Italian liqueur that is often served chilled by itself as a digestivo.
- Triple Sec. Triple sec is an orange-flavored liqueur that is used in margaritas and other cocktails, such as cosmopolitans.
- Limes. We used freshly squeezed lime juice for the limoncello margarita but if you're unable to access fresh limes, you can use bottled lime juice. Some limes are juicer than others so depending on how juicy your limes are you may need more than 2 to yield 1 ounce of lime juice.
- The garnish. Kosher salt was used to salt the rims of the glasses but feel free to omit the salt entirely if you're trying to avoid excess sodium or don't care for it. We used lemon and lime slices for garnish, but feel free to get creative and use other garnishes, like candied lemon peel, fresh mint, etc.
How to make a frozen limoncello margarita
- Squeeze 2 limes to get approximately 1 ounce of lime juice. Depending on the juice level of your limes, you may need more or less to yield 1 ounce of juice.
- Slice the 2 lime slices and 2 lemon slices for garnish and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt to a dish, and after wetting the rim of the glass, dip the rim into the salt.
- Add 2 ounces of tequila, 2 ounces of limoncello, 2 ounces of triple sec, and 1 ounce of lime juice to a blender along with 2 cups of ice.
- Blend on high until slushy. If you prefer a thicker consistency, add additional ice until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into the salted glasses, garnish with the lemon and lime slices, and serve immediately. If desired, add a splash of limoncello to the top as a floater. Enjoy!
More refreshing drinks for summer
Here are a few of our favorite easy-sipping cocktails!
- Limoncello Spritz - Limoncello, prosecco, club soda, and fresh mint.
- Italian Margarita - Tequila, Campari, orange liqueur, and fresh orange juice.
- Grapefruit Margarita aka Paloma - Grapefruit and lime juice, tequila, and triple sec.
- Aperol Spritz - Prosecco, Aperol, and club soda, garnished with rosemary.
- Frosé - Rosé and frozen strawberries blended until slushy.
If you’ve enjoyed this limoncello margarita recipe or any recipe on this site, give it a 5-star rating and leave a review.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces limoncello
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 cups ice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt optional, for the rim
- 2 slices lemon optional, for garnish
- 2 slices lime optional, for garnish
- Add the tequila, limoncello, triple sec, lime juice, and ice to a blender and blend for 45 seconds.
- Pour into salt-rimmed glasses and garnish with lemon and lime slices. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Makes 2 drinks.
- For a thicker consistency, add an additional cup of ice when blending.
- To make on the rocks, just add contents to a cocktail shaker, shake and pour over ice.
- For additional limoncello flavor, pour a "floater" of limoncello over the top of the drink right before serving.