Delicious, hearty, and comforting are words that come to mind when describing these slow cooked beef ribs.
What Makes Slow Cooked Beef Ribs So Good?
1. Braised anything is always super tasty and quite easy.
2. Braising is the perfect method for tough cuts of meat like short ribs which tend to be more budget friendly.
3. Flavors improve the longer it cooks. Therefore, this dish is even better the next day – so make enough for leftovers!
4. You can serve this with a variety of vegetables that will all yield excellent results.
5. Pile on top of polenta, mashed potatoes, noodles, rice – anything really.
6. Looks and tastes like a sophisticated dish that will impress your guests.
Here are the slow beef short ribs after being seared in the dutch oven. Brown all sides to get a nice color, about 15 minutes per batch. Make sure to not to crowd your beef or you wont get a nice browning effect.
I love these red wine slow cooked beef ribs. They are so comforting and delicious.
Check out these sides that go really well these short ribs:
We are all about the drink pairings:
Did you try this recipe?
Give it a star rating.
- 2 pound beef short ribs
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 12 small radishes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 large bay leave
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear/ brown short ribs on all sides on medium to med/high heat in dutch oven with 2 tbsp olive oil. Work in batches so beef browns and does not steam. Will take around 15 minutes per batch.
- When beef is done add half an onion (uncut) to dutch oven along with 2 uncut carrots. Also, add garlic, thyme and bay leaves to pot.
- Add wine to pot and scrape all brown bits from pan with wooden spoon. Let cook for 2 minutes to burn off alcohol and then add chicken stock and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cook 2 minutes more to blend paste into sauce.
- Add beef back to pot and submerge in sauce. Cover pot with lid and place in 325 degree oven for 2 hours.
- Chop remaining onion and carrots into bite sized pieces. Quarter or halve radishes depending on size. Reserve these vegetables for later.
- Check halfway through and stir gently. Cover again and let short ribs finish cooking.
- Take pot from oven and and remove short ribs. This is a good time to remove the rib bones if you desire.
- Strain sauce and discard vegetables that were used for braising.
- Place strained sauce in dutch oven and add reserved vegetables from step 6.
- Cook vegetables in pot until tender (Roughly 20-30 minutes). Taste sauce while vegetables are cooking and make adjustments if necessary. *The sauce should not be too salty so might need to add some salt at this point.
- Serve short ribs topped with sauce and vegetable mixture. Enjoy.
Please share this on Instagram or Facebook using #sipandfeast, to let us know how you did and to show others as well. Thanks!