Pinwheel Italian sausage, a few seasonings, cherry peppers, and some good olive oil layered over some thin sliced Italian potatoes makes an awesome weeknight dish. My Italian Roasted Peppers recipe acts as a great side dish for this meal. Both can bake in the oven at the same time.
I love easy dishes that don't sacrifice flavor for efficiency. I mean, what's the point of easy if it only tastes OK?
I don't play that way - I want the food I make to be great. Not some of the time, but all the time. Who doesn't?
Now, not all the Recipes on Sip and Feast are super easy. This one is!
Thin sliced potatoes are covered with good quality sausage. The drippings from the baked Italian sausage do an amazing job of flavoring the roasted Italian potatoes.
I used a cheese and parsley pinwheel but any type of Italian sausage would work well. I like the milder flavor of the parsley and cheese so that the cherry peppers shine through.
Cherry peppers are awesome on this but totally optional. I typically use the sweet variety so that I don't hear complaints from my kids. I keep the hot ones on the side, for my wife and I.
Anyway let's get on with it.
Sausage And Italian Potatoes With Cherry Peppers Questions:
What type of Italian sausage?
Use any type you like. I think the pinwheel varieties are great because they cook a little quicker and crisp up a little better. It's also easier to spread them all out on top of the potatoes.
Variety of sausage?
I like cheese and parsley for this dish. The flavor is mild enough to allow the vinegar and cherry peppers to shine through. If you like spicy sausage or sweet fennel, go for it. No hard and fast rules in this recipe.
What are cherry peppers and why use them?
Cherry peppers are a quintessential Italian condiment that I enjoy with so many dishes. They are small round peppers that look like big cherries.
Buy the pickled variety. The Italian sausage and potatoes drink up the vinegar to make an already great dish even better. They come in hot and sweet versions. The hot peppers are probably as hot as jalapeno peppers and the sweet don't have much heat at all.
What type of potatoes?
Any large white potato will work but I suggest Yukon Gold because they're easy to find and roast really well.
2 out of 5 with 1 being super easy and 5 being very difficult. Only potential issue could be cutting the potatoes. If you use a mandolin be careful - I assume if you own one, you know how to use it.
Italian Potatoes And Sausage Process:
Clean the potatoes and dry them off. Turn oven onto 400 and place rack in middle.
Slice the potatoes at about ⅛" - ¼" thick. If you have and want to, use a mandolin. Just be careful as it is a dangerous kitchen tool. After slicing, toss the potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Get the seasonings all over the potatoes - putting them in a large bowl and tossing is a great way to do it.
Next place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Layer the Italian potatoes on the paper - spread them apart as best as you can and try not to overcrowd them. Use 2 pans if needed.
Add the sausage all over the potatoes. This can be done one of 2 ways. Either cut up the Italian sausage pinwheel into pieces or place the whole pinwheel on top. If you go for the whole pinwheel, try to separate it a little so the sausage can more effectively brown.
Bake the Italian sausage and potatoes in the oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 mins remove and layer the cherry peppers on top.
You can turn the potatoes if you want to at this point but I prefer to leave them be and let them get real crispy on one side. I use the same technique in my Crispy Roasted Potatoes side dish recipe.
Return to oven for 10-15 more minutes.
Finally remove from oven and toss it all together to coat everything well. I like to add some more fresh cherry peppers on top and a healthy drizzle of olive oil.
If you want fresh herbs like basil or parsley, now is the time to add them. Totally optional but the herbs do make the dish look nice and add some fresh flavor.
This dish is great with some cherry peppers and their vinegar all over the top. It can be served by itself or with some rice or a salad for a full meal.
The total cooking time for the sausage and potatoes will be about 45 minutes. All ovens are a little different so plan accordingly - a nice brown color on the potatoes and sausage is the goal so cook a little longer if needed.
Check out these other Italian dishes:
- Italian Chicken With Capers And Cherry Tomatoes
- Pizza Bianca
- Roasted Broccolini And Sausage
- Italian Roasted Peppers
- Broccoli Rabe Sausage Rolls
- Clams In Red Sauce
- Sweet Italian Sausage Pasta
- Baked Portobello Mushrooms With Bruschetta
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
Give it a star rating.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes .....Any large white potato that can be sliced is fine.
- 1.5 pound pinwheel sausage .....Regular Italian sausage can be substituted.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 cups halved cherry peppers
- ½ cup cherry pepper vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh herbs such as basil and parsley .....totally optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and place oven rack in middle. If using whole cherry peppers cut into halves or quarters and set aside.
- Wash and dry potatoes well. Slice potatoes into thin ⅛" - ¼" slices and dry off with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and coat with ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp black pepper, and ½ tsp garlic powder. Mix well to evenly coat potatoes with seasoning.
- Place parchment paper on sheet pan. This is optional but recommended to avoid potatoes sticking to the pan. Spread out potatoes on parchment paper. Try to not overcrowd the potatoes. Use 2 pans if necessary.
- Cut sausage pinwheel into 6 inch pieces and distribute on top of potatoes. Place sausage and potatoes in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan and add cherry peppers on top of sausage and potatoes. Return pan to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes more.
- Remove pan when the potatoes and sausage are nice and brown. Cook for 5 more minutes if needed. The time is a general estimate so aim for the brownness in the picture.
- Finally add some fresh cherry peppers and the vinegar. Add the herbs if using. Give a nice drizzle of extra virgin olive oil all over and serve. Enjoy!
Share these Italian potatoes on Instagram or Facebook using #sipandfeast to let us know how you did and to show others as well.