The Americano cocktail is a refreshing blend of Campari, sweet vermouth, and club soda garnished with an orange slice. This one is light, effervescent, perfectly bitter, and pairs well with summer evenings and dinner with friends!
The Americano cocktail may be the perfect aperitivo for summer.
While similar in flavor to the Negroni, the Americano is lighter and less boozy thanks to the substitution of fizzy club soda for gin.
It’s easy to sip like a spritz, and the sweet vermouth provides greater depth, rounding out its perfect flavor.
- Campari. Campari is a bitter Italian aperitivo that hails from Milan. It’s flavor is distinct, and more bitter than Aperol which can be substituted if you prefer a sweeter drink. A red amaro could also be substituted.
- Sweet vermouth. Sweet vermouth is used in a multitude of cocktails, including the Manhattan, and Negroni. It provides a necessary sweetness that helps to balance the bitterness in the Campari.
- Club soda. We recommend using an unflavored club soda for the Americano, however, you could use an orange-flavored seltzer in a pinch.
- Garnish. Orange slices or orange twists are the traditional garnish for the Americano, however, an Amarena cherry would also be great here. For additional color, use a slice of blood orange!
How to make it
- Fill a highball glass with ice and add 1 1/2 ounces of Campari, and 1 1/2 ounces of sweet vermouth.
- Give the ingredients a stir, then fill to the top with club soda and stir again.
- Garnish with a slice of orange, or an orange twist, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
More refreshing cocktails
If you’re looking for refreshing cocktails that are easy to make, we think you’ll love these!
- Aperol Spritz – club soda, prosecco, and Aperol.
- Long Island Iced Tea – blend of 5 spirits, fresh lemon juice, and cola.
- Italian Margarita – Campari, orange liqueur, tequila, and fresh orange juice.
- Lillet Spritz – prosecco, Lillet Blanc, and club soda.
- Limoncello Spritz – prosecco, limoncello, and club soda.
If you’ve enjoyed this Americano cocktail recipe or any recipe on this site, give it a 5-star rating and leave a review.
- 1 1/2 ounces Campari
- 1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth
- soda to fill glass
- 1 twist orange or slice of orange
- Fill a tall glass with ice and add the Campari and sweet vermouth.
- Top with soda then stir to combine.
- Serve with an orange twist or a large slice. Enjoy!
- The Americano is traditionally served in a highball glass but any tall glass will do.
- Garnish with blood orange and/or Amarena cherry for additional color.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.