Butternut squash with brown sugar is a perfect Holiday dish! Honestly, some time roasting in the oven, a little bit of flavor and you’re all set. Let me show you how to make this delicious recipe. This is one of my favorite butternut squash dishes and I think it will become one of yours!
What Does Butternut Squash Taste Like?
It obviously tastes delicious! I would compare it to a sweet potato but a little heartier. There’s a bit more texture in the squash.
This one really just makes itself. It really is simply a matter of waiting for the butternut squash to roast in the oven.
Well, you do have to cut them in half and get a few ingredients ready to go, but other than that it’s pretty simple.
What type of flavors go with butternut squash?
Brown Sugar – yes
Cinnamon – yes
Nuts of all types – yes
Butter – yes
Coconut oil – yes
Basically any flavors you’d associate with Autumn go really well in butternut squash dishes. I have roasted them with sage, prepared them with pomegranate seeds, and used a variety of spices.
This one uses the basic but delicious flavor of butter and brown sugar with some pumpkin and sunflower seeds. That’s it! Also keep in mind, if you want it vegan simply substitute the butter for coconut oil. The flavor would be different but awesome in it’s own right.
Roast Butternut Squash With Brown Sugar Process:
Turn the oven on to 400 degrees and place rack in the middle.
Cut the squash in half, clean out the seeds, and arrange on the sheet. Score the squash by making 1/4 inch deep incisions which will allow for all the wonderful flavor to more readily seep into the squash. Place 1 teaspoon of butter and brown sugar in each squash cavity and place them in the oven. Set the timer for 50 minutes.
Remove Squash and scatter the seeds all over the squash. Add some fresh black pepper if desired and place the squash in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes remove and make sure the squash are fork-tender. What does that mean? The fork should move in and out of the squash easily in all places. If it doesn’t, roast them for 10 more minutes. Simple as that!
More Fall Food And Drink Recipes
- Sausage And Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Apple Cider Cocktail With Maple Syrup
- White Wine Sangria Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Bourbon Milk Punch
- Apple Cider Old Fashioned
If you’ve enjoyed this Roasted Butternut Squash With Brown Sugar Recipe or any recipe on this site please let us know in the comments. We would love to hear how you did and it’s nice to show others as well. Thanks!
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 4 tsp butter
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 tsp black pepper .....optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in middle.
- Cut butternut squash in half. Remove all seeds and pulp. Arrange on sheet pan. Cut 1/4 inch deep incisions into squash, so that the butter and brown sugar can get into the squash better.
- Add 1 tsp of butter and 1 tsp of brown sugar to each squash cavity.
- Place squash in oven and roast for 50 minutes.
- Remove at 50 minute mark and scatter the seeds evenly among the 4 halves. Season with pepper if desired and place back in oven for 15 more minutes.
- Remove and with basting brush spread the butter and brown sugar mixture into the full squash.
- Use fork to check for tenderness. If fork moves freely and the squash feels nice and tender, they're ready to serve. If not, place back in oven for 10 minutes more.